Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Gulf State Park Convention Hotel
Mon February 25, 2013
Gulf Convention Hotel: Tourism Boom or Boondoggle?
One of the most pristine areas in Alabama, a sandy white stretch at Gulf State Park, could become the site of a large hotel and conference center.
Bills pending in the Legislature would let the state use money from BP's Gulf oil spill fund to build a conference center and let a private developer build an adjoining hotel. The Republican sponsors, Sen. Trip Pittman and Rep. Steve McMillan, said the goal is to create an upscale site on the Alabama coast to attract conventions like those drawn to Sandestin in the Florida Panhandle.
Opponents, including former state Conservation Commissioner Charley Grimsley and the owners of a convention hotel in Orange Beach, say it's a giveaway of valuable state land and a boondoggle for taxpayers.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.