Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Alabama Power Dams
Mon July 22, 2013
Groups Seek Reconsideration Of Alabama Power Dams
Two groups have asked a federal agency to reconsider the license renewal for Alabama Power's seven dams on the Coosa River.
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission approved Alabama Power's new license last month. The Alabama Rivers Alliance and American Rivers say more study is needed. Alabama Rivers Alliance program director Mitch Reid says the renewal was a bad decision based on bad data. The two groups are being represented by the Southern Environmental Law Center.
Alabama Power spokesman Brandon Glover says the decision came after 250 public meetings, and it incorporated extensive species and habitat protection.
Reid says FERC rarely rehears license cases, but it is important to try because the decision could have a 30-year impact.