Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Alabama Power Dams
Mon July 22, 2013
Groups Seek Reconsideration Of Alabama Power Dams
Two groups have asked a federal agency to reconsider the license renewal for Alabama Power's seven dams on the Coosa River.
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission approved Alabama Power's new license last month. The Alabama Rivers Alliance and American Rivers say more study is needed. Alabama Rivers Alliance program director Mitch Reid says the renewal was a bad decision based on bad data. The two groups are being represented by the Southern Environmental Law Center.
Alabama Power spokesman Brandon Glover says the decision came after 250 public meetings, and it incorporated extensive species and habitat protection.
Reid says FERC rarely rehears license cases, but it is important to try because the decision could have a 30-year impact.