Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Alabama Power Dams
Mon July 22, 2013
Groups Seek Reconsideration Of Alabama Power Dams
Two groups have asked a federal agency to reconsider the license renewal for Alabama Power's seven dams on the Coosa River.
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission approved Alabama Power's new license last month. The Alabama Rivers Alliance and American Rivers say more study is needed. Alabama Rivers Alliance program director Mitch Reid says the renewal was a bad decision based on bad data. The two groups are being represented by the Southern Environmental Law Center.
Alabama Power spokesman Brandon Glover says the decision came after 250 public meetings, and it incorporated extensive species and habitat protection.
Reid says FERC rarely rehears license cases, but it is important to try because the decision could have a 30-year impact.