Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Mon September 2, 2013
Group Nears Fund-Raising Goal For Bombing Memorial
Planners of a memorial to honor the four girls killed in the 1963 bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham say they are nearing their goal of raising $250,000.
Four Spirits Inc. on Sunday announced that collections and commitments for the design, construction and installation of the project have surpassed $200,000. Four Spirits Inc. is a nonprofit organization formed to collect money and establish the memorial.
Work on the bronze and steel sculpture is being done in Berkeley, Calif. Birmingham native and sculptor Elizabeth MacQueen created the design for the memorial.
Events are planned next month in Birmingham to mark the 50th anniversary of the bombing on Sept. 15, 1963. Men with ties to the Ku Klux Klan were convicted and sentenced to prison terms for the attack.
Church Bombing Dad-Prison
Arts & Life
Politics & Government