Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Tue October 16, 2012
Groundbreaking Set for Freedom Riders Park
Work is set to begin on a park in memory of a brutal attack on civil rights activists 51 years ago and the progress made since then.
The Anniston Star reports (http://bit.ly/S1aUlq ) that the groundbreaking for Freedom Riders Park is set for 10 a.m. Thursday.
A mob attacked a bus carrying civil rights activists known as Freedom Riders just outside Anniston on May 14, 1961 as they were traveling to test a Supreme Court decision desegregating travel stops. The attack didn't discourage integration as the mob intended, but rather firmed up resolve to enforce the Supreme Court rulings throughout the South.
The groundbreaking this week will kick off fundraising pay for the park and will celebrate progress made by volunteers in the Freedom Riders Park organization.
Information from: The Anniston Star, http://www.annistonstar.com/
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.