Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Politics & Government
Wed September 5, 2012
Grand Jury Indicts Leonard in Auburn Shootings
A man accused of opening fire at an Auburn pool party has been indicted on a charge of capital murder.
Desmonte Leonard, 22, faces trial in the killing of two former Auburn University football players and another man.
Court filings posted Tuesday showed that a grand jury indicted Leonard for capital murder, one count of first-degree assault, two counts of attempted murder and two counts of second-degree assault. No trial date has been set.
Leonard allegedly used a .40-caliber pistol to kill three people and wound three others at a pool party near the Auburn campus on June 9. Former Auburn football players Edward Christian and Ladarious Phillips were killed along with DeMario Pitts of Opelika. Wounded were current Auburn player Eric Mack and two Roanoke men, Xavier Moss and John Robertson.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.