Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri February 6, 2004
Governors Will Skip Meeting
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Governor Bob Riley and Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour canceled their plans to attend Friday's meeting to discuss economic growth in the Black Belt region. Governor Riley's press office released a statement Friday morning that said both governors would miss the event. The two governors agreed last year to begin developing a joint project to attract businesses to west Alabama and east Mississippi. Both states plan to discuss ways to share resources, including water, electricity and suppliers. Despite the cancellations by Governors Riley and Barbour, the meeting at the University of West Alabama was not canceled.