Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri September 27, 2013
Governor Bentley Warns Against Federal Shutdown
Alabama's Republican governor says opponents of the Affordable Care Act need to let it crumble from its own design flaws rather than risk shutting down the federal government to stop funding the law.
Gov. Robert Bentley said Friday the Affordable Care Act is unworkable, and that's been proven by the delay of some provisions and the difficulty in getting some health insurance marketplaces ready for their debut Tuesday.
He says he understands why some Republicans are insisting on deleting funding for the law from legislation that will keep the federal government operating after midnight Monday. But he said a government shutdown could turn the turn the tide of public opinion against opponents of the law.
Bentley advised his fellow Republicans to sit back and watch the law crumble.
No Insurance Exchange
Politics & Government
Health Overhaul-Alabama Navigators