Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Sun October 7, 2012
Governor Bentley Touts Amendment 2 As Job Creator
Gov. Robert Bentley is crisscrossing the state to ask voters to approve a constitutional amendment that could determine how successful he is in keeping his campaign promise to create jobs. Bentley is urging voters to approve Amendment 2 on Nov. 6. He says it will give the state a new avenue for providing incentives for industries to locate in Alabama. Alabama's Constitution already allows the state to sell up to $750 million in bonds for industrial incentives. The state is near that limit. Amendment 2 will allow the state to issue new bonds as it pays off the older bonds, as long as the total debt doesn't exceed $750 million. It will also allow the refinancing of old bonds to lower the interest rate. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.