Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Politics & Government
Thu October 3, 2013
Governor Bentley outdistancing GOP opponent in fundraising
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Gov. Robert Bentley is raising more than $1,200 in campaign donations for every $1 received by his Republican primary opponent. Bentley filed a campaign finance report Wednesday showing he has received nearly $2 million since fundraising began in June. His opponent, former Morgan County Commissioner Stacy Lee George, reported raising $1,575. After expenditures, George had $45 left. Bentley had nearly $1.9 million remaining. The two meet in the Republican primary on June 3. Bentley doesn't have a Democratic opponent so far in his campaign for a second term. Bentley's fundraising report shows he collected more than $547,000 in September. That included big donations from several road-building and construction companies, as well as $80,000 from political action committees run by Montgomery lobbyists Joe Fine and Bob Geddie.