Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Tue October 22, 2013
Governor Bentley Grants Extra Holidays
Gov. Robert Bentley is giving state workers extra holidays on the Friday after Thanksgiving and on Christmas Eve.
Bentley announced the days off on Tuesday in a letter to state department directors and a video message to state employees that was posted on YouTube.
Alabama governors have traditionally granted the extra days in addition to the 13 holidays set by state law. Bentley says he's giving the extra days off to show state employees how much he values their service and to allow them to celebrate with family and friends during Thanksgiving and Christmas.
In the video message, Bentley said, "I wish you a warm and happy holiday season."