Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue March 5, 2013
Governor Bentley Endorses Abortion Clinic Regulations
Alabama's governor says he will sign tougher abortion clinic regulations if the state Senate approves them.
Gov. Robert Bentley spoke Tuesday at a rally organized by abortion opponents in Montgomery. Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey and House Speaker Mike Hubbard also attended the rally.
The clinic regulatory bill has passed the House and is scheduled for a vote Wednesday in the Senate Health Committee. Committee Chairman Greg Reed says he expects the committee to approve the bill and send it to the Senate.
One of the requirements in the bill is that abortion clinics have a doctor present who has approval to admit patients to a local hospital.
The Southeast Vice President of Planned Parenthood, Nikema Williams, says the bill is an onerous attack on women's rights.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Abortion Clinic Bill