Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu June 3, 2004
Government Investigates Shrimp Sales
By Alabama Public Radio
Bayou La Batre, AL – An official with the U-S Commerce Department will be in Louisiana this weekend to continue investigating charges of shrimp dumping. Shrimpers in Alabama and other southern states have accused several foreign countries of illegally selling their shrimp on the domestic market at below cost. Shrimpers say it's damaging their livelihood, and some plan to attend Sunday's meeting to discuss their concerns. The Southern Shrimp Alliance favors increasing tariffs on imported shrimp, but some representatives of the seafood industry oppose that idea.