Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed April 3, 2013
Gov. Robert Bentley To Sign Abortion Bill
Alabama's governor says he plans to sign legislation mandating stricter abortion clinic standards like Mississippi has done.
Opponents say Alabama's legislation will be challenged in court like Mississippi's.
The Republican-led House and Senate approved the bill Tuesday night, mostly along party lines. It now goes to Gov. Robert Bentley. He said Thursday he plans to sign it after his lawyers make sure there have been no unanticipated changes from the bill he endorsed early in the legislative session.
Bentley says he's opposed to abortion, but he believes the bill will make abortions safer.
Opponents say the bill is designed to shut down most of Alabama's five licensed abortion clinics through over-regulation, and they are talking about a legal battle like the one that has kept Mississippi's law from being enforced.
Abortion Clinic Bill