Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Thu February 21, 2013
GOP Senator From Ala. Signals Support For Hagel Nomination
Republican Sen. Richard Shelby says he will vote to confirm Chuck Hagel as defense secretary, a major boost for President Barack Obama's nominee.
The Alabama lawmaker tells the Decatur Daily he has concerns about his fellow Republican but plans to support him. Shelby spokesman Jonathan Graffeo said Thursday that, barring unforeseen surprises, the senator will vote for confirmation.
Hagel is a former two-term senator from Nebraska who has faced strong GOP opposition. Shelby joins two other Republicans who have indicated their support for Hagel — Thad Cochran of Mississippi and Mike Johanns of Nebraska.
Last week, Shelby voted with other Republicans against moving forward on the Hagel nomination. The Senate expects to vote again next week when lawmakers return from their weeklong recess.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.