Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
GOP Chairman Challenged
Fri December 7, 2012
GOP Chairman Disappointed Bentley Not Supportive
Alabama Republican Party Chairman Bill Armistead says he's disappointed Gov. Robert Bentley has abandoned him, but he doesn't think it will affect the outcome of his re-election bid.
Bentley held a conference call with members of the Republican Executive Committee Thursday night, where he endorsed Birmingham attorney Matt Fridy for the party's top leadership job. Bentley backed Armistead when he was elected two years ago. Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey and House Speaker Mike Hubbard are also backing Fridy.
Armistead said he doesn't believe the majority of the Republican Executive Committee is influenced by elected officials telling them how to vote.
Bentley said Fridy is the best candidate to unite the party for the 2014 elections. Armistead said he's tried to unite Republicans, but others have caused divisions.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.