Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed November 10, 2004
GOP Already Planning for '05
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Republican legislators have revealed their agenda for next year. It includes a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages. Nearly a dozen states approved similar measures last week. The Republican party hopes the proposal will pass the legislature and be placed on the 2006 general election ballot. That's the same ballot that will include the state's gubernatorial and legislative elections. The Republican plan also includes an end to annual property reappraisals. Governor Bob Riley supports the annual reviews. But, he says he isn't concerned about Republican caucuses pushing their own agendas. The legislature's 2005 regular session will begin February first.