Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Tue April 16, 2013
GOP Ala. Lawmakers Suggest School Safety Bills
Republican leadership in the Alabama Legislature has offered proposals to make Alabama public schools safer.
The proposals made by Republican legislators at a State House news conference Tuesday includes giving schools permission and more money to hire trained resource officers to provide security. The proposals include one by Republican Rep. Allen Treadaway of Morris to issue up to $50 million in bonds for schools to buy necessary equipment and make renovations so public schools can secure all entrances.
A proposal by Republican Rep. Alan Baker of Brewton would replace existing "fire drills" with "emergency drills" that would take into consideration other emergency situations. At least once per semester there would be a "code red" drill to prepare schools for a threat of violence that would cause the lockdown of schools.
School Safety Bill
School Safety Summit