Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Around the Nation
Fri January 4, 2013
Goodbye Casual Fridays Hello Formal Fridays
Originally published on Fri January 4, 2013 7:46 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep.
First, people wore suits and ties, dresses or skirts to work. Then came casual Fridays. Then the tech industry destroyed dress codes. Congress is one of the last places people dress up, and we know how that's turned out.
Now the tech industry leads the way back. The Wall Street Journal reports some companies have formal Fridays now. Suits and ties have returned, a way for employees to escape the oppressive conformity of wearing hoodies and jeans. You're listening to MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.