Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri January 14, 2005
Georgia Ruling Won't Affect Alabama
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Alabama education officials say they don't believe a Georgia federal judge's ruling will affect schools in this state. U-S District Judge Clarence Cooper ordered Cobb County, Georgia officials to immediately remove stickers that call evolution a theory, from school textbooks. The judge says the sticker is an unconstitutional endorsement of religion. Alabama Schools Superintendent Joe Morton says Alabama's nine-paragraph disclaimer in the front of books is much broader than the three-sentence statement used in Cobb County. He says Alabama's disclaimer has been in textbooks since 1995 without being challenged in court.