Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon January 17, 2005
General Fund Budget Outlook is Negative
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – State legislators will begin the 2005 regular session in a couple of weeks. And, they're already warning of sharp budget cuts for the next fiscal year. Alabama's General Fund budget is expected to spend about one-and-a-half billion dollars this year. But it needs at least another 255 million dollars, and lawmakers say that number could go as high as 300 million. They say the extra money is needed just to keep pace with funding needs of current programs. The 2006 fiscal year begins October First.