Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue June 22, 2004
Funeral Services Held For Fallen Officers
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Funeral services were held Monday for two Birmingham police officers who were shot to death Thursday as they arrived in an Ensley neighborhood to serve a misdemeanor domestic violence warrant. Officers Charles Robert Bennett and Carlos Owen were remembered for their dedicated service to others. Hundreds of fellow officers from across Alabama and neighboring states attended the funerals in Gardendale and Clear Branch. Funeral services will be held Tuesday in Moody for the other officer killed...Harley Chisholm the Third. Meanwhile, the two men charged in the triple homicide -- Nathaniel Woods and Kerry Spencer made their first court appearance Monday. The two were arrested and charged with capital murder in the killings.