Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Wed March 31, 2004
Free Gun Locks Available
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Governor Bob Riley and state law enforcement officials unveiled a new program yesterday they hope will increase firearm safety among children.
The Project ChildSafe program is a national initiative gun owners can get free gun locks that prevent children from accidentally firing them. 360-thousand free locks will be handed out in Alabama. The locks are available through local police and sheriff's departments. Local authorities can request locks to give away from the Governor's office.
The Project ChildSafe program is funded with a 50 million dollar grant from the US Justice Department.