Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Wed March 31, 2004
Free Gun Locks Available
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Governor Bob Riley and state law enforcement officials unveiled a new program yesterday they hope will increase firearm safety among children.
The Project ChildSafe program is a national initiative gun owners can get free gun locks that prevent children from accidentally firing them. 360-thousand free locks will be handed out in Alabama. The locks are available through local police and sheriff's departments. Local authorities can request locks to give away from the Governor's office.
The Project ChildSafe program is funded with a 50 million dollar grant from the US Justice Department.