Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Mon November 22, 2004
Former First Lady Hunt Dies
By Associated Press
Cullman, Alabama – Former Alabama first lady Helen Hunt died Monday from a pulmonary disease. She was 70.
Bill Floyd, chairman of the Cullman County Republican Party, says Mrs. Hunt had been treated at Woodland Medical Center since Nov. 13 for pulmonary fibrosis. The condition robs the lungs of their ability to transfer oxygen into the bloodstream.
Her husband, former Governor Guy Hunt, was elected in 1986 after a fractious Democratic primary. He became Alabama's first Republican governor since Reconstruction. Hunt won a second term but was removed from office in 1993 after being convicted on a felony ethics charge. The couple then returned home to their farm in Holly Pond.