Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Fri February 4, 2005
Former Financial Officer Back on Stand
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – HealthSouth's former chief financial officer was back on the witness stand Friday. Bill Owens has been testifying in the trail against former company C-E-O Richard Scrushy. Owens said Scrushy knew he was using fake financial information during a national T-V appearance in 2002. It aired on C-N-B-C, and prosecutors showed jurors the tape. That interview occurred more than a week before Scrushy sold 74 million dollars in stock options. Prosecutors say Scrushy was trying to drive up HealthSouth stock prices to personally profit. Defense lawyers say Owens and other HealthSouth subordinates were responsible for the fraud and lied to Scrushy for years.