Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Thu November 21, 2013
Former Alabama Governor Helping GOP Legislators
Former Gov. Bob Riley will be a major player in the 2014 elections in Alabama even though his name is not on the ballot.
Riley has raised more than $1 million for his political action committee, Alabama 2014, and he's using it to help Republicans keep their seats in the Legislature.
Riley's PAC has given $23,884 to Rep. Jim Patterson of Merdianville, $22,501 to Rep. Ken Johnson of Moulton, $21,583 to Rep. Wayne Johnson of Ryland, and smaller amounts to other incumbents.
Riley says he's working with Republican House Speaker Mike Hubbard and Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh on selecting candidates to support.
Riley's PAC has received donations from a variety of business interests, including beer, tobacco, pharmaceuticals and coal.
Alabama Elections-Campaign Finance