Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu November 21, 2013
Former Alabama Governor Helping GOP Legislators
Former Gov. Bob Riley will be a major player in the 2014 elections in Alabama even though his name is not on the ballot.
Riley has raised more than $1 million for his political action committee, Alabama 2014, and he's using it to help Republicans keep their seats in the Legislature.
Riley's PAC has given $23,884 to Rep. Jim Patterson of Merdianville, $22,501 to Rep. Ken Johnson of Moulton, $21,583 to Rep. Wayne Johnson of Ryland, and smaller amounts to other incumbents.
Riley says he's working with Republican House Speaker Mike Hubbard and Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh on selecting candidates to support.
Riley's PAC has received donations from a variety of business interests, including beer, tobacco, pharmaceuticals and coal.
Alabama Elections-Campaign Finance