Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Wed April 30, 2014
Former AG Baxley Defending Republican Legislator
Former Alabama Attorney General Bill Baxley has signed on as a defense lawyer for Republican Rep. Barry Moore of Enterprise.
Baxley filed court papers Wednesday saying he'll be one of Moore's defense lawyers. Moore is charged with perjury and making false statements to law enforcement officials.
The felony charges stem from Moore's January appearance before a Lee County grand jury investigating possible public corruption.
Prosecutors accused Moore of testifying falsely when he was asked if he ever told his primary opponent that House leadership would block money for a local economic development project if he ran against Moore.
Moore is the second lawmaker to face charges from the probe. Former Rep. Greg Wren pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor ethics law violation as part of a plea deal with prosecutors.
Politics & Government