Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed April 30, 2014
Former AG Baxley Defending Republican Legislator
Former Alabama Attorney General Bill Baxley has signed on as a defense lawyer for Republican Rep. Barry Moore of Enterprise.
Baxley filed court papers Wednesday saying he'll be one of Moore's defense lawyers. Moore is charged with perjury and making false statements to law enforcement officials.
The felony charges stem from Moore's January appearance before a Lee County grand jury investigating possible public corruption.
Prosecutors accused Moore of testifying falsely when he was asked if he ever told his primary opponent that House leadership would block money for a local economic development project if he ran against Moore.
Moore is the second lawmaker to face charges from the probe. Former Rep. Greg Wren pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor ethics law violation as part of a plea deal with prosecutors.
Politics & Government