Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Mon January 14, 2013
Flooding, Wintry Precipitation Possible in Ala
The mix of heavy rains and colder temperatures is causing potential weather problems across Alabama.
The National Weather Service says persistent rains already have caused flash flooding in areas, and it has issued flood warnings for the Tennessee Valley region and west Alabama.
Some parts of north Alabama received up to 3 inches of rain quickly, and forecasters say additional rains will only increase runoff and cause more flooding.
There's a flood watch out for much of central Alabama.
Meanwhile, forecasters say there is a chance of periods of freezing rain in northwest Alabama through Tuesday morning as cold are filters into the state. The threat will end as temperatures gradually rise.
The weather service says a stalled frontal boundary is to blame for the rain.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Arts & Life