Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Arts & Life
Thu June 5, 2014
FFA Members Pack 75K Meals for the Hungry
Future farmers already are doing something to help the hungry in Alabama.
About 500 members of the Future Farmers of America packed more than 75,000 meals for the Montgomery Area Food Bank during their state convention on Wednesday.
The students put grains and vegetables into sealable bags that will be distributed through the food bank, which serves 35 counties.
In all, about 1 million people in Alabama are considered to have problems getting food that's both affordable and nutritious. That's about 20 percent of the state's population.
The project was funded through the Alabama FFA Foundation and a $25,000 grant from the Walmart Foundation.
State FFA President William Norris of Wetumpka says students are learning what it takes to provide for others.