Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Thu June 5, 2014
FFA Members Pack 75K Meals for the Hungry
Future farmers already are doing something to help the hungry in Alabama.
About 500 members of the Future Farmers of America packed more than 75,000 meals for the Montgomery Area Food Bank during their state convention on Wednesday.
The students put grains and vegetables into sealable bags that will be distributed through the food bank, which serves 35 counties.
In all, about 1 million people in Alabama are considered to have problems getting food that's both affordable and nutritious. That's about 20 percent of the state's population.
The project was funded through the Alabama FFA Foundation and a $25,000 grant from the Walmart Foundation.
State FFA President William Norris of Wetumpka says students are learning what it takes to provide for others.