Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon December 30, 2013
Few Alabamians Getting New STAR ID
Few Alabamians have obtained a new form of identification that many will need in less than a year if they want to take a domestic flight without carrying a passport.
State Trooper spokesman Steve Jarrett says that less than 6,000 of Alabama's licensed drivers have obtained a STAR ID. That stands for Secure, Trusted and Reliable Identification.
The new IDs are Alabama's way to comply with the federal REAL ID law. People born after Dec. 1, 1964, will need one of the new IDs or a passport to board a domestic flight starting Dec. 1, 2014. People born before Dec. 1, 1964, will need the new ID or a passport starting Dec. 1, 2017.
Alabamians can apply at driver's license exam offices with the proper documents.