Most Active Stories
- Selma 1865-- The First "March to Freedom"
- Selma-- "This is something I'll tell my kids..."
- From Bloody Sunday to a White Wedding
- SPLC response to Supreme Court decision, Alabama charter schools and food insecurity fundraiser
- AL Supreme Court halting same-sex marriages, State of the State address and charter schools
Around the Nation
Thu August 14, 2014
Ferguson Braces For New Night Of Clashes, As Leaders Call For Peace
Originally published on Thu August 14, 2014 5:35 pm
A fifth night of violence erupted in a St. Louis suburb, as Ferguson police again clashed with protesters. Community frustration has only escalated since the police shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager on Saturday. Ferguson's police chief called for calm, while reiterating that he will not release the name of the officer who shot Brown. Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon also spoke out for more peaceful relations between police and protesters.