Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue November 9, 2004
Federal Halfway House Postponed Again
By Alabama Public Radio
Spanish Fort, AL – The Spanish Fort Planning Commission is postponing consideration of a plan to construct a halfway house for federal prisoners on the Mobile Causeway. The action comes after pressure from area residents and tourism proponents. The Planning Commission has instructed applicants to change the design of the proposed structure. Commission members have scheduled a work session to review the changes. That work session will be held November 22 at the city's police substation at the Eastern Shore Centre. Commissioners will not vote on the site plan until December. This is the second delay for the project. Applicants also withdrew their request last month, so they could submit additional requested information.