Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Broadband Internet expansion
Fri September 6, 2013
FCC Expanding Broadband Internet in Alabama
Federal Communications Commission officials say areas throughout Alabama have been targeted for broadband Internet expansion.
FCC spokesman Mark Wigfield said Thursday that $27 million of the FCC's Connect America Fund will be distributed to help expand Internet access throughout Alabama.
Last month, the commission announced that 44 states and Puerto Rico requested more than $385 million from the fund.
The Connect America Fund is being used to expand broadband Internet access to rural communities across the country.