Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Alabama University Shooting
Thu February 21, 2013
Ex-Professor Seeks Delay In Ala. Shooting Lawsuits
Former university professor Amy Bishop is asking a judge in Huntsville to delay action in lawsuits against her.
The two suits were filed by victims of a 2010 shooting spree at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Bishop pleaded guilty to the crime.
Bishop maintains that information in the lawsuits could jeopardize her appeal in her criminal case.
A court had stopped action in the lawsuits while Bishop was awaiting trial. Attorneys were allowed to resume gathering evidence when she pleaded guilty to murder.
Bishop now wants that process stopped again because she's appealing her conviction.
A hearing is set for Friday before Madison County Circuit Judge Billy Bell.
Bishop pleaded guilty to killing three colleagues and wounding three more during a February 2010 faculty meeting.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Arts & Life