Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Wed February 2, 2005
Ex-HealthSouth CFO Continues Testimony
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Former HealthSouth chief financial officer Bill Owens was back on the stand Wednesday testifying in the federal fraud trial of Richard Scrushy. Owens said Scrushy ordered aides to continue with the fraud because Scrushy wanted to sell 100 million dollars in stock. Owens said Scrushy was afraid of being sued by stockholders. Owens described the former HealthSouth C-E-O as a master salesman who ruled with fear and intimidation. Defense lawyers say Owens and other former executives were responsible for the scam and hid the conspiracy from Scrushy.