Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed February 2, 2005
Ex-HealthSouth CFO Continues Testimony
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Former HealthSouth chief financial officer Bill Owens was back on the stand Wednesday testifying in the federal fraud trial of Richard Scrushy. Owens said Scrushy ordered aides to continue with the fraud because Scrushy wanted to sell 100 million dollars in stock. Owens said Scrushy was afraid of being sued by stockholders. Owens described the former HealthSouth C-E-O as a master salesman who ruled with fear and intimidation. Defense lawyers say Owens and other former executives were responsible for the scam and hid the conspiracy from Scrushy.