Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Mon June 17, 2013
Etowah Co. Officials Hosting Elder Abuse Forum
Etowah County officials are preparing to host a conference focusing on elder abuse and financial exploitation of seniors.
The eighth annual Elder Abuse Awareness Day summit is set for Wednesday morning at the Senior Activity Center in Gadsden.
Jon Costa, of the Council on Aging of Etowah County, tells the Gadsden Times (http://bit.ly/13LpPp3) more than 200 cases of elder abuse, neglect or exploitation in Etowah County are reported to the Department of Human Resources each year.
Costa says 75 percent of elder abuse and exploitation victims are women and victims' average age is 78.
Information from: The Gadsden Times, http://www.gadsdentimes.com