Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Tue September 18, 2012
Emergency Training Planned on Ala Beaches
Officials are conducting a large training exercise along Alabama's coast to prepare for hurricanes and other emergencies.
Helicopters and other equipment will be near Perdido Pass in Orange Beach on Tuesday for what's being called "Operation Raging Winds." The training will include helicopter rescues and beach patrols along the coast.
Organizers are trying to get the word that the activity is for training and isn't a real emergency situation. While the main tourist season is over, thousands of visitors are still in the area.
The training is supposed to conclude by Tuesday evening.
Agencies participating in the exercises include conservation, emergency management, homeland security and public safety.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.