Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed April 28, 2004
Education Budget Passes House
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The state House approved the four-point-five billion dollar education budget Tuesday. It eliminates funding for most museums, theaters and other non-state agencies. But it includes enough money for legislators to support special projects in their districts. The measure also fully funds a program to improve reading ability in school children, and it fully funds employee benefits. The budget does not provide money for a cost-of-living pay raise for teachers. The education budget has already passed the Senate but it has returned for another vote because House lawmakers made some changes.