Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed November 13, 2013
Duke Will Be 'Crowned' For Foreseeable Future
LINDA WERTHEIMER, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Linda Wertheimer.
Crowning the Duke of Wellington with a traffic cone is a tradition in Glasgow. Frustrated officials wanted to raise the 1844 statue to a height that could keep the cones off the duke's head. Removing them costs the city 160 bucks a time. But the effort to elevate the duke was stopped by a petition. Apparently to Glaswegians, Waterloo was not the duke's last crowning achievement.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.