Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu November 1, 2012
Dr. Judy Bonner named President of the University of Alabama
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — The University of Alabama's board of trustees has named the first permanent woman president in the school's 181-year history. The board voted Thursday to appoint university Provost Judy L. Bonner. She has previously served as interim president. Previous President Guy Bailey resigned unexpectedly on Wednesday after less than two months in the job. Bailey said he was leaving because of the health of wife Jan Tillery-Bailey. A statement didn't reveal anything about her condition, but a university spokeswoman says Bailey's wife was critically ill over the summer.