Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Thu November 1, 2012
Dr. Judy Bonner named President of the University of Alabama
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — The University of Alabama's board of trustees has named the first permanent woman president in the school's 181-year history. The board voted Thursday to appoint university Provost Judy L. Bonner. She has previously served as interim president. Previous President Guy Bailey resigned unexpectedly on Wednesday after less than two months in the job. Bailey said he was leaving because of the health of wife Jan Tillery-Bailey. A statement didn't reveal anything about her condition, but a university spokeswoman says Bailey's wife was critically ill over the summer.