Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue August 7, 2012
Dozens Sickened By Fumes From Refinery Fire Near San Francisco
"Shelter-in-place" warnings have been lifted for people living downwind from a Chevron refinery in Richmond, Calif., where a large fire that started Monday evening "sent thick black smoke wafting" over areas around San Francisco and Oakland, the Contra Costa Times reports.
According to the newspaper, authorities say the blaze is now contained.
Our colleagues at KQED say that "about three dozen people reportedly came to Kaiser Permanente Richmond Medical Center complaining of respiratory problems. Contra Costa Health Services continues to advise those who have trouble breathing to seek medical attention."