Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed July 25, 2012
Disgraced Former Health Care Chief Scrushy Freed
Disgraced former health care executive Richard Scrushy has been released from federal custody after nearly six years.
Federal Bureau of Prisons spokesman Chris Burke says the former multimillionaire HealthSouth Corp. founder and CEO was freed Wednesday from home confinement in Houston, the final step as he begins three years of supervised release.
Scrushy was acquitted on multiple criminal charges in an accounting scheme in 2005 but was sentenced to almost eight years in prison for a bribery conspiracy involving former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman. The term later was trimmed to 70 months.
He served time in a federal prison in Beaumont, then was moved to a halfway house and to home confinement.
Scrushy still faces a $2.9 billion judgment from a separate Alabama civil suit related to the accounting scheme.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)