Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
- APR Civil War Coverage Nominated for 2 National Murrow Awards
Alabama 6th District
Thu August 7, 2014
Democratic Nominee Leaving Ala. 6th District Race
The Democratic nominee in Alabama's 6th District congressional race is giving up his campaign.
Avery Vise said Thursday he's withdrawing from the race and has sent a letter to the Alabama Democratic Party informing leaders of his decision.
The party will now get to select someone to run against Republican nominee Gary Palmer in the general election in November.
Vise is new to politics and he says his small business is taking on new challenges that make it difficult to campaign.
Vise's letter says he knew he had virtually no chance of winning in the heavily Republican 6th District. He says he ran mainly to give voters another point of view.
The district covers much of central Alabama. It's an open seat because longtime Republican Rep. Spencer Bachus is retiring.
6th District Election