Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Alabama 6th District
Thu August 7, 2014
Democratic Nominee Leaving Ala. 6th District Race
The Democratic nominee in Alabama's 6th District congressional race is giving up his campaign.
Avery Vise said Thursday he's withdrawing from the race and has sent a letter to the Alabama Democratic Party informing leaders of his decision.
The party will now get to select someone to run against Republican nominee Gary Palmer in the general election in November.
Vise is new to politics and he says his small business is taking on new challenges that make it difficult to campaign.
Vise's letter says he knew he had virtually no chance of winning in the heavily Republican 6th District. He says he ran mainly to give voters another point of view.
The district covers much of central Alabama. It's an open seat because longtime Republican Rep. Spencer Bachus is retiring.
6th District Election