Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Politics & Government
Fri February 14, 2014
Democrat Leflore to Challenge Byrne
Alabama's newest congressman, Rep. Bradley Byrne, will have opposition after all in his first re-election bid.
Democrat Burton LeFlore is seeking a rematch after losing to Byrne, a Republican, in the December special election to represent Alabama's 1st Congressional District.
LeFlore's name was left off the initial candidate list distributed by the Alabama Democratic Party when qualifying ended last week.
The winner of the Republican primary for Alabama's 6th Congressional District will also face opposition from a Democrat.
Democrat Avery Vise qualified to run for the seat.
That seat is open after U.S. Rep. Spencer Bachus announced his retirement from Congress.