Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Fri February 14, 2014
Democrat Leflore to Challenge Byrne
Alabama's newest congressman, Rep. Bradley Byrne, will have opposition after all in his first re-election bid. Democrat Burton LeFlore is seeking a rematch after losing to Byrne, a Republican, in the December special election to represent Alabama's 1st Congressional District. LeFlore's name was left off the initial candidate list distributed by the Alabama Democratic Party when qualifying ended last week. The winner of the Republican primary for Alabama's 6th Congressional District will also face opposition from a Democrat. Democrat Avery Vise qualified to run for the seat. That seat is open after U.S. Rep. Spencer Bachus announced his retirement from Congress.