Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Business & Education
Wed January 16, 2013
Defense Contractor Announces Anniston Layoffs
A defense contractor has notified 139 of its roughly 400 employees at its Anniston Army Depot site that they will be laid off in March and April.
The Anniston Star reports (http://bit.ly/11zd3uu ) that General Dynamics Land Systems will employ fewer workers after April due to declining military orders for combat vehicles. The company builds and repairs combat vehicles.
Peter Keating, spokesman for General Dynamics Land Systems, said the layoffs were necessary due to a lack of work at the facility.
The layoffs are the latest in a string of cutbacks in Anniston since last year due to the drawdowns of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. General Dynamics announced 98 layoffs at the depot in November. BAE Systems in December closed its Anniston vehicle upgrade and overhaul facility, laying off 145 people.
Information from: The Anniston Star, http://www.annistonstar.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.