Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed October 6, 2004
Defense Claims Victory for Eric Rudolph
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Defense attorneys say a federal judge's decision is a victory for accused bomber Eric Rudolph. Judge Lynwood Smith said yesterday he'll review notes that were taken by FBI agents to determine whether there are inconsistencies in key witness statements. Smith overturned a magistrate judge and agreed to look at the original, handwritten notes that were used to compile witness statements. The FBI agents were investigating the 1998 abortion clinic bombing in Birmingham...Rudolph has been charged with that explosion that killed a police officer and injured a nurse. Rudolph's attorneys say there are numerous inconsistencies with the government's case, including witness descriptions and the bomber's path away from the area. Rudolph is facing death penalty charges. He has pleaded not guilty to the Birmingham bombing. He is also accused of three other bombings in Atlanta.