Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri September 24, 2004
Defense Attorneys, Prosecutors Continue Battle Over Siegelman Trial Judge
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Attorneys for former Governor Don Siegelman have accused a prosecutor of making scurrilous attacks on Federal Judge U-W- Clemon. The defense attorneys are urging a federal appeals court to keep the prosecutor from frivolous judge-shopping. Siegelman's attorneys filed the court papers in response to U-S Attorney Alice Martin's request to get the Siegelman case put on hold and get Clemon removed as judge. Martin responded by saying she has raised legitimate issues, and her actions were approved by the U-S solicitor general. The 11th U-S Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta has not indicated when it will rule on the case. The outcome could result in a delay of Siegelman's trial. That trial is currently set for October fourth in Tuscaloosa.