Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Tue March 4, 2014
"Davy Crockett" Heading Back to the Alamo
An Alabama man will be portraying one of America’s most famous historic figures this week. Al Bouler is an actor at Old Alabama Town in Montgomery. He specializes in playing frontiersman Davy Crockett. He'll be taking part in the San Antonio Living History Association's celebration to commemorate the famous battle of the Alamo. Bouler says the man who used to play Crockett is retiring and was an admirer of his work as the frontier hero. Bouler says thanks to that recommendation, he got the job playing Crockett.
Al Bouler: “It’s the thrill of a lifetime, basically. It’s definitely on my bucket list, let’s put it that way. I have played Crockett where he was born, in Tennessee, Davy Crockett Birthplace Park. And now I get to play him where he met his end. I’m quite honored to be asked.”
The week culminates with a “Dawn at the Alamo” event Thursday remembering the battle - 178 years after it occurred.
*Click the audio file to hear the full interview with Al Bouler.