Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed November 3, 2004
Cullman No, Fort Payne Yes on Liquor Sales
By Alabama Public Radio
Cullman, AL – Cullman voters have decided not to legalize the sale of alcoholic beverages. The vote, in complete but unofficial returns, shows that 54 percent of voters were against legalizing the alcohol sales; 46 percent were in favor of the proposal. This was the sixth time in 20 years that Cullman voters have decided the north Alabama city would remain dry. The votes cast in Tuesday's wet-dry referendum represented almost 70 percent of the more than 10,000 registered voters in the city. The vote was held under the state's municipal option law. It allows cities in dry counties to vote on legalizing alcoholic beverage sales within the city limits. Meanwhile, voters in Fort Payne narrowly approved a referendum Tuesday that allows liquor sales within the city. The move was approved by only a 180-vote margin, with about 5,000 total votes cast. Fort Payne Mayor Bill Jordan had endorsed legalized alcohol sales and says he's glad the people have spoken. Jordan says the Fort Payne City Council has worked to present the positive aspects that the legalized dsales could bring to the city. The council earlier this month passed an ordinance calling for 75 percent of all direct sales tax revenues to be funneled toward the city school system, with the remaining 25 percent going to benefit local tourism and industrial expansion. Before the vote, liquor sales were legal only at a country club.