Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Arts & Life
Tue July 9, 2013
Cruise Ship Departs Mobile Late; 2 Workers Injured
Carnival's Conquest cruise ship departed Mobile about two hours late on a shortened cruise to the Bahamas.
The New Orleans-based ship docked at Mobile on Sunday because the Mississippi River was closed to ships due to a tugboat sinking. It was supposed to depart about 4 p.m. Monday, but it got away about 6 p.m. because a bus carrying baggage arrived late from New Orleans.
The general manager of Mobile's cruise terminal, Sheila Gurganus, told al.com (http://bit.ly/1bkvztU ) that two workers suffered minor injuries when heavy luggage fell from a forklift.
Carnival shortened the Conquest's route from seven days to six days after having to shift to Mobile. Mobile's terminal used to be home to Carnival's Elation cruise ship, but Carnival moved the ship to New Orleans in October 2011.
Information from: Press-Register, http://www.al.com/press-register/
Arts & Life
Carnival Ship Diverted