Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon November 22, 2004
Coppage Surprised by Seatbelt Aversion
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Department of Public Safety director Colonel Mike Coppage says it's unbelievable. He's referring to the number of Alabama drivers who do not use seatbelts. Coppage says 62 percent of people who died in rural highway accidents this year were NOT buckled up. The death toll for urban areas is still being counted. Coppage says extra troopers will be on patrol during the Thanksgiving Holiday. He says authorities will strictly enforce the state's seat belt and child restraint laws.